Brian Bayless 2017 NBA Mock Draft
Round 1 Picks 1-15
Josh Jackson is a top 5 pick. Where does he end up.
Brian Bayless Last Updated: June 19, 2017.
Philadelphia 76ers: Markelle Fultz, PG, Washington
- Philadelphia has traded the third overall pick to move up to 1. LeBron has Kyrie Irving at point guard and Kevin Durant had Russell Westbrook on Oklahoma City. Ben Simmons gets his point guard with Markelle Fultz here.
Los Angeles Lakers: Lonzo Ball, PG, UCLA
- The Los Angeles Lakers are leaning towards Lonzo Ball now at 2. Ball is money as a shooter. Ball has the court vision, passing, basketball IQ, and defense as well. Drafting Ball allows D'Angelo Russell to move to the 2 at shooting guard.
Boston Celtics: Jayson Tatum, SF, Duke
- The Celtics are going to have to choose between Josh Jackson and Jayson Tatum at 3. Tatum is a better fit for what Boston does which is why he goes third overall.
Phoenix Suns: Josh Jackson, SF, Kansas
- The Phoenix Suns get a small forward at 4. Josh Jackson is the best fit for the Suns here at 4.
Sacramento Kings: De'Aaron Fox, PG, Kentucky
- The Sacramento Kings are losing Darren Collison to Free Agency this year. Fox is a good defender, but he isn't polished as a shooter and is undersized. The Kings like guys on Kentucky so they take him here.
Orlando Magic: Dennis Smith Jr., PG, North Carolina State
- Orlando loves Dennis Smith Jr. If they start him right away he will bust. If he develops better mid range shot selection as well as better defense as a backup under Elfrid Payton he could be special.
Minnesota Timberwolves: Lauri Markkanen, PF, Arizona
- The Minnesota Timberwolves are one power forward away from being a competitive team. Lauri Markkanen fills a position of need for Minnesota at 7 and is the best player on the board. Markannen is on a Dirk Nowitzki level offensively, but he's terrible defensively. With someone who is an All Pro on defense like Karl-Anthony Towns Markkanen may correct this issue.
New York Knicks: Jonathan Isaac, SF, Florida State
- The Knicks pick at 8 plus Phil Jackson wants to move on from Carmelo Anthony. Jonathan Isaac has a chance to be better than both Josh Jackson and Jayson Tatum which is why I love this pick for the Knicks.
Dallas Mavericks: Frank Ntilikina, PG, Strasbourg
- The Dallas Mavericks draft Frank Ntilikina. Ntilikina is an excellent defender with a good shot chart. He doesn't average that many points per game which is why some consider him a boom or bust prospect. I got a feeling he booms.
Sacramento Kings: Justin Jackson, SF, North Carolina
- Rudi Gay cannot stay healthy. That's why I have Justin Jackson going to the Kings at 10.
Charlotte Hornets: Malik Monk, SG, Kentucky
- The Charlotte Hornets have a lot of depth. Malik Monk is a top 10 talent and a huge steal here.
Detroit Pistons: Donovan Mitchell, SG, Louisville
- I think in this situation the Pistons can ignore need and take the top player on their board. Donovan Mitchell is an ideal fit for what the Pistons can do at 12 if they keep this pick.
Denver Nuggets: Zach Collins, PF, Gonzaga
- Denver takes the top player on their board. Zach Collins is someone they have a top 10 grade on. He will be the pick if he makes it to 13. He lacks Markkanen's athleticism, but is a better defender than Markkanen.
Miami Heat: John Collins, PF, Wake Forest
- John Collins is a perfect successor to Chris Bosh. Collins comes off the board here and joins the Miami Heat.
Portland Trail Blazers: Jarrett Allen, PF, Texas
- Portland needs a power forward at 15. Jarrett Allen has excellent size at 235 lbs.
Other 2017 NBA Mock Drafts