2017 MLB Power Rankings
Emily Rosario Last Updated: July 10, 2017.
Philadelphia Phillies 29-58
- The Philadelphia Phillies have 4 pitchers in their starting rotation with an ERA of 4.00 or higher. They need to use the 2018 Free Agency period and the 2018 MLB Draft to improve the pitching. Philadelphia could not have picked a worse time to have bad pitching with 2014 first round pick Aaron Nola beginning to look like a huge bust. The 2018 MLB Draft is still 11 months away, but it's more hitter friendly than pitcher friendly right now which is why the Phillies may continue to have pitching problems in 2018 and beyond unless they land someone big in Free Agency.
San Francisco Giants 34-56
- San Francisco does not have Madison Bumgarner back until at least after the 2017 MLB All Star Game. They are putting Johnny Cueto on the trading block at the 2017 MLB Trade Deadline and they had their worst MLB Draft in 15 years to top that off. All 5 of the Giants pitchers have an ERA of 4.00 or higher. The Giants have a 4 game losing streak heading into the MLB All Star game as well.
San Diego Padres 38-50
- San Diego has Wil Myers. That's their only good player. The Padres have one of the lowest payrolls. With Colorado and Arizona making rapid improvements with their batting lineups its now beyond evident that San Diego is at a disadvantage in the NL West. Madison Bumgarner's injury is the only reason this isn't the worst NL team.
Cincinnati Reds 39-49
- Oh how the mighty have fallen. Cincinnati was in first place a month ago. Now they are in last place again team ERA of 5.05 is worst in the National League.
Chicago White Sox 38-49
- Chicago's starting pitching is worse than last month plus Carlos Rodon is on the 60 day DL list. The Chicago White Sox bullpen has also gotten worse after a strong start to begin the year. Chicago's closer and set up pitcher are doing well, but only one of Chicago's four middle relievers is pitching well right now. Chicago had the best ERA among AL teams two months ago before dropping to 17th in team ERA, but now they are 19th among MLB teams in ERA. The White Sox were two outs away from watching Rockies pitcher Kyle Freeland pitch a no hitter.
Previous Rank 21st
New York Mets 39-47
- The New York Mets are a top 3 NL team if Matt Harvey, Jacob deGrom, and Noah Syndergaard can all stay healthy. The Mets have good batters and outstanding pitching when healthy. Syndergaard has a back injury that keeps him on the DL until July where as Harvey got suspended by the team for 3 days. Looks like the Mets are playing more like the 2016 Mets then the 2015 Mets after starting the season on such a strong note.
Detroit Tigers 39-48
- Detroit has a quality team. The only problem has been pitching. I'm moving Detroit down to 24 for now, but watch out folks this Tigers team could get hot in the second half.
Previous Rank 20th
Oakland Athletics 39-50
- The Athletics have a bottom 5 record. They are still a top 5 team in the AL in home runs. Sean Manaea and Sonny Gray are pitching well as of late which is why I have them higher than most. They don't deserve to ranked higher than this mainly because their bullpen sucks.
Previous Rank 21st
Toronto Blue Jays 41-47
- Toronto began the year 3-14. Toronto is 38-33 since that point though. Toronto looked like they would come back at one point, but they are in last place in the AL East right now plus they lost to Houston 19-1 heading into the MLB All Star break.
Previous Rank 17th
Miami Marlins 41-46
- The Miami Marlins just have one of the worst teams on paper this year. Their batting average has improved to 4th in the MLB and they also have a top 5 fielding percentage playing quality baseball on defense. They aren't producing enough runs to win games though as a middle of the pack home run team.
Previous Rank 26th
Baltimore Orioles 42-46
- The Baltimore Orioles are struggling. Manny Machado has really underperformed after Baltimore got off to such a strong start. The Orioles also now have the MLB's worst ERA.
Previous Rank 14th
Seattle Mariners 43-47
- Seattle could be a sleeper. The Mariners have disappointed though and have problems winning on the road. The starting rotation, bullpen, batting average, runs per game, and fielding percentage as far as defense goes all checks out. All Seattle needs is for Felix Hernandez to get hot in the second half and pitch lights out after the All Star break and for the Mariners to hit more home runs. Seattle could be another team that gets hot in the second half like the Detroit Tigers if they fix those two areas of their game.
Previous Rank 19th
Atlanta Braves 42-45
- Atlanta's batters have been a little disappointing. The Braves have pitched better as of late, but this team is still a work in progress.
Previous Rank 22nd
Texas Rangers 43-45
- Texas had a good team last year. The Rangers got swept by Cleveland early in the season and while they have rebounded, they have a losing record heading into the 2017 MLB All Star Game. Yu Darvish is anchoring this Texas rotation right now.
Previous Rank 12th
Los Angeles Angels Of Anaheim 45-47
- The Los Angeles Angels Of Anaheim have Mike Trout and a bunch of other quality bats. I think their pitching sucks though and with Trout on the DL it's hard to buy this team when they are 45-47.
Previous Rank 18th
Pittsburgh Pirates 42-47
- Pittsburgh is gaining a lot of confidence in their clubhouse right now. They get Starling Marte back soon and eventually all of Pittsburgh's batters will be at full health outside of third baseman Jung Ho Kang who got a two year prison sentence for a DUI in South Korea. They got Cole and Taillon pitching real well along with some really good starters in AAA that could be called up later in the year. I think the Pirates could be a dark horse in the NL Central, but they are too many games out of a wild card spot at the moment.
Previous Rank 24th
St. Louis Cardinals 43-45
- St. Louis has quality bats. I'm not sure the pitching steps up though. They have too many players on the DL to be a threat. They have a two game winning streak though and are tied with the Cubs for second place in the NL Central at the moment. Even with all their injuries they have the top team ERA in the NL Central.
Previous Rank 23rd
Chicago Cubs 43-45
- The Cubs are still the team to beat in the NL Central in my honest opinion. The Brewers starting rotation has been able to match the Cubs ERA wise and Brewers lead the NL Central by 5.5 games. If the season ended today the Cubs would be on the outside looking in. Chicago's ERA declined sooner than expected with older pitchers, but they still have a top 5 team ERA in the NL. At the same time their team ERA is worse than St. Louis and Milwaukee. Schwarber got sent down to AAA and the defense isn't as good as last season. I'm not sure if the Cubs have a World Series hangover from winning it all like a lot of teams do, but they are going to get a pass from the media for breaking a 108 year curse.
Previous Rank 11th
Kansas City Royals 44-43
- Kansas City is getting much better play from their batters as of late. The Royals' have a winning record once again. Kansas City lost three in a row though after being 44-40 only 1.5 back of the AL Central leader.
Previous Rank 15th
Minnesota Twins 45-43
- Minnesota had first place in the AL Central for a lot of April and May. The Twins got swept by Cleveland in Minnesota before sweeping the Tribe in Cleveland. Ever since falling behind Cleveland in June, this team hasn't been the same with the ERA looking a lot like last years team outside of Santana. The Twins have a bottom 5 team ERA and look like the 2016 Twins in July. That team had the MLB's worst record due to terrible pitching last season. I'd be more concerned about Kansas City or Detroit if I was Cleveland despite Minnesota's winning record this season. Right now, the Twins come in at 11 though on our rankings.
Previous Rank 13th
Tampa Bay Rays 47-43
- The Rays have been more competitive this year than people realize. They are 7th in batting average in the AL, 6th in the AL in runs scored, 3rd in the AL in home runs, and 5th in the AL in ERA. Their injury prone players have stayed healthy. If this continues the Rays may make the AL Wild Card game.
Milwaukee Brewers 50-41
- Outside of Ryan Braun and Jonathan Villar this Brewers team is very suspect as far as batters go. Milwaukee's batting average is 8th in the NL, but they also rank 4th in runs scored and team ERA only trailing the Cardinals. The starting rotation for Milwaukee is surprising everyone plus this team leads the National League in home runs right now.
New York Yankees 45-41
- The New York Yankees ended 2016 on a high note. They swept the Cubs at Wrigley Field. At the same time their pitching is inconsistent and they got swept by the Oakland Athletics. This team fell apart as the first place team in the AL East like I expected. They still may get a wild card game at Yankee Stadium, but expect this team to get swept by Houston if they make the ALDS.
Previous Rank 7th
Colorado Rockies 52-39
- The Colorado Rockies are 52-39 and still lead the NL wild card in June. They stumbled a lot over the past 30 days despite Kyle Freeland's no hitter through 8 1/3 innings yesterday. The Rockies have the third best batting average in baseball, but they've gone from a top 5 team in home runs to 17th in that category plus their team ERA is 16th among NL teams. It's going to be interesting to see Kyle Freeland face Zach Greinke in the NL Wild Card game because the winner of that series will probably be a team that goes home pretty quickly. Colorado has played great defense though in the month of June and has the second best fielding percentage as a result.
Previous Rank 3rd
Boston Red Sox 50-39
- Boston is in first place with a 3.5 game lead in the AL Central. The Red Sox are a pretty safe bet to win the AL East right now due to having the best rotation in that division. Boston has quality batters as well.
Previous Rank 9th
Cleveland Indians 47-40
- Cleveland has Kluber back and is playing for Terry Francona with his health problems. The record doesn't stand out, but their team does. The Tribe has the best batting average in the AL Central along with runs per game. The Indians' are a top 10 team in batting average and fielding percentage among MLB teams. Cleveland has the top ranked ERA in the American League with Corey Kluber back along with Dallas Keuchel being placed on the DL. The Indians' have the second fewest strikeouts by batters so far only trailing the Houston Astros which means their batters are getting on base. The only issues right now with Cleveland are a lack of home runs and the flashing base stealing they had in 2016 during their World Series run. Cleveland can easily emerge as the best team in the American League once again if they fix those two areas on their team while continuing to play strong in areas where they've excelled at.
Previous Rank 7th
Arizona Diamondbacks 53-36
- Arizona has some great batters. They are also second in team ERA in the MLB one spot above the Cleveland Indians and swept Cleveland. Despite being the first wild card they lost Shelby Miller for the season and that may come back to haunt them in the 2017 MLB Playoffs.
Previous Rank 5th
Washington Nationals 52-36
- Washington has a good 1-2 punch in their rotation with Max Scherzer and Stephen Strausburg. I like their batting lineup as well. I'm not sure I can trust Dusty Baker as a manager though. Washington began the season as the best team in the NL, but is now trailing two NL West teams.
Previous Rank 2nd
Houston Astros 60-29
- Houston has a lot of quality bats. Houston should rebound in terms of team ERA in the AL once Keuchel returns from the DL later this month on July 25th right before the 2017 MLB Trade Deadline. The fact that they only trail Cleveland and Boston for team ERA without Keuchel is a great sign since they lead the MLB in both home runs and batting average. Houston has so many young bats in place. Outside of the Chicago Cubs, this is probably the team that has done the best over the past five years building through the MLB Draft. Houston's winning streak last which was 11 games long validated why this team is so complete on paper right now because the Astros are in the top 3 in the American League in every single category and that's a sign of a future World Series Champion. The other thing with Houston is they defeated Toronto yesterday 19-1 heading into the MLB All Star break before MLB baseball resumes on Friday.
Previous Rank 1st
Los Angeles Dodgers 61-29
- The Los Angeles Dodgers have a lot of talent. You can argue they are the most complete MLB team right now due to their MLB best 61-29 record along with the best team ERA in Major League Baseball. Los Angeles is a middle of the pack team with fielding percentage and batting average, but they are also a top 10 team in home runs that ranks 7th among all MLB teams. The only teams with more home runs than the Dodgers right now in the NL are the New York Mets and Milwaukee Brewers. That's the only argument you need to say the Dodgers are the best team in baseball right now record wise mainly due to the injury of Keuchel.
Previous Rank 4th