2017 MLB Power Rankings
Emily Rosario Last Updated: May 8, 2017.
Kansas City Royals 10-20
- Kansas City is 10-20 because they went from being 1st in runs scored and home runs when they won the World Series in 2015 to being 15th in runs scored among American League Teams and 14th in home runs. The Royals still have the same batters from their 2015 World Series team and a lot of guys are in contract years so a garage sale in Kansas City seems likely.
Previous Rank 11th
San Francisco Giants 11-21
- San Francisco does not have Madison Bumgarner back until at least after the 2017 MLB All Star Game. The Giants have the second worst ERA by a Major League Baseball team as well without Bumgarner. The Giants are at the bottom of the National League in pretty much every category as a result. Buster Posey is batting .356 and that's the only bright spot for the Giants. I had the Giants as a wild card team in the preseason, but that probably doesn't happen now.
Previous Rank 7th
San Diego Padres 12-20
- San Diego has Wil Myers. That's their only good player. The Padres have one of the lowest payrolls plus they have bombed the last three MLB Drafts. With Colorado and Arizona making rapid improvements with their batting lineups its now beyond evident that San Diego is at a disadvantage in the NL West. Madison Bumgarner's injury is the only reason this isn't the worst NL team.
Previous Rank 30th
Toronto Blue Jays 11-20
- Toronto began the year 3-14. The Blue Jays are 8-6 in their last 14 games and suffered a lot of early season injuries in their starting rotation. They could end up picking things up, but at the same time they are playing catch up in the AL East so far.
Previous Rank 10th
Atlanta Braves 11-18
- Atlanta's batters have been a little disappointing. The Braves also have the MLB's worst ERA in 2017 which is why the Braves are still a bottom 5 team despite the promising additions.
Previous Rank 17th
Texas Rangers 13-19
- Texas had a good team last year. The Rangers got swept by Cleveland early in the season and have been at the bottom of the AL West for most of the year.
Previous Rank 8th
Philadelphia Phillies 13-17
- The Philadelphia Phillies showed promise to begin the 2016 season. The Phillies are in a pretty dire state right now and they took a step back like I expected.
Previous Rank 27th
Miami Marlins 13-17
- The Miami Marlins just have one of the worst teams on paper this year. Without Jose Fernandez this is easily a bottom 8 team once again.
Pittsburgh Pirates 14-17
- Outside of Gerrit Cole and Jameson Taillon it feels like this Pirates rotation is completely depleted. The Pirates are rumored to be considering the idea of moving Gerrit Cole at the 2017 MLB Trade Deadline to the New York Yankees and until these rumors by the New York Daily News die down, the Pirates come in at 22.
Previous Rank 20th
Oakland Athletics 14-17
- The Athletics remained at 21 which is where I had them in my preseason MLB Power Rankings. This is what I said about them then.
- The 2017 Season will be another rebuilding year for Oakland. At the same time the additions of outfielders like Rajai Davis and Matt Joyce to compliment Khris Davis may pay off. Same could be said for Jed Lowrie at second base. The Athletics aced their 2016 MLB Draft after nailing their 2015 MLB Draft and got the right short-term Free Agents to bring in while their prospects continue to develop. Oakland also has guys who have Championship experience on the Midland Rockhounds who won the Texas League in back-to-back years in AA.
- Pretty soon the Athletics will have Oakland all to themselves with the Raiders moving to Las Vegas and Golden State heading towards San Francisco where the Warriors new stadium will open in 2019. Oakland will go through some growing pains in the next two years as an MLB franchise, but will show a lot of promise to the point where they could put themselves in contention for the AL if all of their rookies are called up by the time the new Athletics stadium opens whether it be in 2020 or beyond. The Athletics are not a contender by any means. At the same time, the Athletics have a decent batting lineup, and if Sonny Gray reverts to his 2015 form, the Athletics can make the AL West race exciting until the Raiders preseason starts.
- Oakland is now 4th in the AL in Home Runs. Pitching is still an issue for the Athletics though.
New York Mets 14-16
- The New York Mets are a top 3 NL team if Matt Harvey, Jacob deGrom, and Noah Syndergaard can all stay healthy. The Mets have good batters and outstanding pitching when healthy. Syndergaard has a back injury that keeps him on the DL until July where as Harvey got suspended by the team for 3 days. Looks like the Mets are playing more like the 2016 Mets then the 2015 Mets after starting the season on such a strong note.
Previous Rank 6th
Seattle Mariners 15-17
- Seattle could be a sleeper. It comes down to whether Felix Hernandez makes a recovery in 2017. Hernandez got placed on the DL again until May 19th. You have to figure the Mariners need to get a #1 starter in the 2017 MLB Draft with all the pitching in place.
Previous Rank 13th
Los Angeles Angels Of Anaheim 16-17
- The Los Angeles Angels Of Anaheim have Mike Trout and a bunch of other quality bats. I think their pitching sucks though and with Trout on the DL it's hard to buy this team when they are 16-17.
Previous Rank 22nd
Tampa Bay Rays 16-17
- The Rays have been more competitive this year than people realize. They are 6th in the AL in runs scored, 5th in the AL in home runs, and 4th in the AL in ERA. Their injury prone players have stayed healthy. It's too bad they are playing catch up to the Yankees, Orioles, and Red Sox though.
Previous Rank 25th
Detroit Tigers 15-15
- Detroit has a quality team. I think they have a chance to contend in the AL Central if the other pitchers that compliment Justin Verlander step up. Right now the Tigers come in at 16 because they are ranked dead last in the American League in ERA.
Previous Rank 14th
Milwaukee Brewers 16-16
- Outside of Ryan Braun and Jonathan Villar this Brewers team is very suspect. It's amazing that Milwaukee is not a bottom 5 team at this point.
Previous Rank 26th
Minnesota Twins 15-14
- Minnesota has Brian Dozier who they are rumored to be trading, an overpaid Joe Mauer, a promising yet inexperienced Byron Buxton at center fielder, and pitching that is bad in both the rotation and the bullpen. The Twins also have a lot of prospects that are extremely talented in their farm system. Minnesota enters 2017 as the worst AL team. Despite all the glaring holes, they are in a weak AL Central division that is wide open outside of Cleveland plus they have their share of integral role players despite being the doormat of the American League. The Twins are currently in second place in the AL Central.
Previous Rank 28th
Chicago White Sox 15-15
- Jose Quintana, James Shields, and Carlos Rodon were all promising in 2014 and 2015, but the other two pitchers outside of Quintana struggled. Those pitchers have stepped up this year eve with Quintana strugglin Quintana has to adapt from being a #2 to a #1 starter with Shields moving up from #3 to #2 and Rodon moving up from #4 to #3 coming off a down year. The Chicago White Sox have the best bullpen among any of the bottom 10 teams so even if these pitchers give up 1 or 2 less runs compared to 2016 it could still end up going a long way when you consider that the White Sox benefit from playing in the AL Central. Right now the White Sox have the best ERA in the entire American League even with these set backs. That's why the White Sox are the biggest threat to the Cleveland Indians at this point in my honest opinion.
Previous Rank 24th
St. Louis Cardinals 16-14
- St. Louis has quality bats. I'm not sure the pitching steps up though. They have too many players on the DL to be a threat to the Cubs despite being ahead of Chicago at the moment.
Previous Rank 12th
Cincinnati Reds 17-14
- Cincinnati leads the NL Central which is a miracle. I don't think the Reds will maintain the lead though which is why they came in at 11. I'm also aware of the fact that the Reds are on a 5 game winning streak. It's only May which is why its too early to talk about the Reds winning the NL Central.
Previous Rank 29th
Arizona Diamondbacks 18-15
- Arizona has some great batters. The pitching got off to a strong start. With Shelby Miller their #2 starter out for the season right now it looks like the NL West is a two horse race between the Dodgers and Rockies.
Previous Rank 16th
Boston Red Sox 17-14
- Cubs over Red Sox was my early 2017 prediction. Boston got swept by Cleveland in the 2016 ALDS and the Tribe didn't even use Salazar or Carasco to add insult to injury. Boston could rebound, but with David Price on the DL along with the success of the Yankees and Orioles plus their batters regressing, you have to wonder if this is a wild card team at best.
Previous Rank 3rd
Chicago Cubs 16-15
- Spoiler Alert! Neither the Cleveland Indians or Chicago Cubs from the 2016 World Series made my top 5. The Chicago Cubs won the 2016 World Series after trailing 3-1 to the Cleveland Indians. Chicago has everyone except Aroldis Chapman coming back, but they replaced Chapman with Wade Davis who is a much younger closer and has an ERA of 0.00. The Cubs got swept by the New York Yankees and despite being in third place in the NL Central they only have 1 player on the DL compared to the 7 players on the Cardinals DL and the 5 players on the Reds DL. You can argue the Cubs are still the favorite to win the World Series if their bats click by October, but right now as of May 2017, this team is outside the MLB Playoff picture, but comes in at 8 because of the position they are in.
Previous Rank 1st
Cleveland Indians 17-13
- Cleveland has Kluber on the DL plus some of their other pitchers stink. Plus the Indians have scored 3 runs or less in 16 of their 30 games. This is a huge concern and right now the Indians just need to worry about Kluber being healthy in October and winning the AL Central. They have a shot to win the AL if they get back to the postseason, but right now this team is hanging on to the AL Central by a thread. You can argue that the Indians should be 8 and the Cubs should be 7, but neither team deserves a top 5 spot at this point in May. One thing I will add with last years World Series finalists is that both can easily climb back into the top 5. You cannot write off the Cubs or Indians until they officially get eliminated.
Previous Rank 2nd
Baltimore Orioles 20-10
- The Baltimore Orioles got Chris Tillman some help. With Dylan Bundy and Kevin Gausman pitching this well you can certainly aruge that the Orioles may get to the ALDS after losing the AL Wild Card game during the past few years.
Previous Rank 18th
Los Angeles Dodgers 17-14
- The Los Angeles Dodgers have a lot of talent. You can argue they are the most complete MLB team outside of the Cubs and thier top ranked ERA shows this. The Dodgers just have a tendency to choke in October.
Previous Rank 4th
Colorado Rockies 20-12
- The Colorado Rockies had early success against the Dodgers and deserve to be ranked fourth. There is a window of opportunity for the Rockies to host a NL Wild Card game at Coors Field to boost attendance in Colorado.
Previous Rank 15th
New York Yankees 20-9
- The New York Yankees ended 2016 on a high note. They swept the Cubs at Wrigley Field and won 5 in a row While they have the MLB's best record, I feel like their pitchers will be exposed and they will take their foot off the pedal at some point.
Previous Rank 19th
Washington Nationals 21-10
- Washington has a good 1-2 punch in their rotation with Max Scherzer and Stephen Strausburg. I like their batting lineup as well. I'm not sure I can trust Dusty Baker as a manager though.
Previous Rank 9th
Houston Astros 21-11
- Houston has a lot of quality bats. If Dallas Keuchel can have a rebound season then the Astros could be a top 5 team in the MLB in 2017. Houston has so many young bats in place. With the Nationals getting a cupcake NL East along with the 7th best ERA in the National League and Houston impressing with what appears to be a pretty complete team on paper, the Astros enter May as my top ranked team.
Previous Rank 5th