2016 MLS Combine: Stock Up Stock Down Report
Eric Verso, M, Stanford
- Eric Verso had 13 assists for Stanford in 2015. Verso had two strong days at the 2016 MLS Combine. Verso could be a late first round to early second round pick. Verso seems like a guy a team like the Seattle Sounders may target as early as 15.
Colin Bonner, F, North Carolina Wilmington
- The 6-4 215 lb Colin Bonner is the biggest striker in the 2016 MLS Draft. Bonner had two strong days where he scored goals off the bench. Bonner could crack the late first round, but someone should take him as a bench player in the second round.
Ritchie Laryea, M, Akron
- Ritchie Laryea had 11 goals, 7 assists, and 29 points in 2015. Laryea did struggle at the 2016 MLS Combine, but he is a guy that looks like a top 5 lock after being a fringe top 5 pick. With Omar Holness and Julian Buescher getting injured, that pretty much guarantees Laryea is a top 5 pick despite his poor performance in Fort Lauderdale.
Nico Brett, F, Robert Morris
- I had Robert Morris forward Nico Brett as a top 5 pick back in August. Brett struggled as a senior despite having double digit goals. Brett was a late second round pick. With his strong performance at the 2016 MLS Combine, he should be an early second round pick. Brett had a 4 goal game at Cleveland State and I saw him in person in Moon Township when Robert Morris hosted Eastern Illinois.
Callum Irving, G, Kentucky
- Callum Irving dominated Day 3 of the 2016 MLS Combine. Him and Generation Adidas goalie Andrew Tarbell are 1A and 1B at 19 and 20 on my draft board. Irving is in play for the Portland Timbers at 20 if the New York Red Bulls take Andrew Tarbell at 18 instead of a center back.
Paul Clowes, M, Clemson
- Paul Clowes was one of those guys that got exposed at the 2016 MLS Combine. I'm not sure where he will fall, but he will fall further than the third round where we had him in one of our last mocks.
Max Lachowecki, D, Notre Dame
- Max Lachowecki struggled at the 2016 MLS Combine. He got fatigued easily and it didn't help his cause. I wouldn't be surprised if Notre Dame right back Michael Shipp went before Lachowecki after what I saw this week.
Zach Matthers, M, Duke
- Duke midfielder Zach Matthers failed to impress at the 2016 MLS Combine. Matthers is a guy that will fall from a mid second round pick to a mid third round pick.
Eric DeJulio, D, Creighton
- Creighton center back Eric DeJulio was the top pick in the second round. DeJulio could fall to the late third or early fourth round range.
Keegan Smith, F, San Diego
- Keegan Smith was outmatched on plays at the 2016 MLS Combine. I think Smith has an outside chance of going undrafted after a poor showing in Day 3 of the 2016 MLS Combine.
MLS Draft Prospects
Draft Utopia MLS Draft Database-A database list of MLS Mock Drafts
MLS Soccer Superdraft Page