2017 NHL Mock Draft Final Mock: 7 Rounds
Chris Ransom follow @DraftUtopia Last Updated: June 23, 2017.
New Jeresey Devils: Hugo Leufvenius, LW, Linkopings HC (Elitserien)
- Hugo Leufvenius has terrific awareness and shooting accuracy. The Devils may consider him here since he's versatile enough to play left wing, center, or right wing.
Vancouver Canucks: Aleksi Heponiemi, C, Swift Current Broncos (WHL)
- Aleksi Heponiemi has a second round grade. He fell to this pick because he's not as accurate as Leufvenius and because he's only 5-9 168 lbs.
Vegas Golden Knights: Jake Leschyshyn, C, Regina Pats (WHL)
- Vegas takes the best player on the board. At this point that player is Jake Leschyshyn.
Previous Pick: Daniel Bukac, D, Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL)
Florida Panthers: Jarrett Tyszka, D, Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL)
- Another talented defensive defenseman is Jarrett Tyszka. Tyszka does everything well defensively on tape and just needs to improve his offensive skills.
Previous Pick: Jake Leschyshyn, C, Regina Pats (WHL)
Carolina Hurricanes: Maxime Fortier, RW, Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL)
- Maxime Fortier had 77 points in 2015-2016. He had 87 points this season. He struggles defensively though at 5-10 186 lbs.
Montreal Canadiens: Ronald Scooter Brickley, D, Muskegon Lumberjacks (USHL)
- The Montreal Canadiens get the 6-3 191 lb Ronald Scooter Brickley. He's a hard hitting defensive defenseman that is worth a flyer on here.
Arizona Coyotes: Cole Guttmann, C, Dubuque Fighting Saints (USHL)
- The Arizona Coyotes get Cole Guttman who had a hat trick versus the Cedar Rapids RoughRiders. Guttman gives the Coyotes depth.
Dallas Stars: Robin Salo, D, Vaasan Sport (SM Liiga)
- Robin Salo is a great two-way defender on tape. Salo had 1 goal, 15 assists, and 16 points in 54 games this season and was sound defensively. Dallas needs to load up on defense and he's someone the Stars could consider here.
Detroit Red Wings: Mikey Anderson, D, Waterloo Blackhawks (USHL)
- Detroit needs a defenseman. Mikey Anderson is the best defenseman available at this point.
Los Angeles Kings: Keith Petruzelli, G, Charlottetown Islanders (QMJHL)
- The Kings get a developmental goalie. The 6-6 190 lb goalie is great in the regular season, but terrible in the Playoffs. Some believe Petruzelli is the second best goalie in the entire draft. I don't, but this is incredible value for Petruzelli here.
Carolina Hurricanes: Denis Mihkinin, RW, Rimouski Oceanic (QMJHL)
- Carolina gets a developmental prospect. Denis Mihkinin has great tape and is worth a flyer here.
Winnipeg Jets: Mario Ferraro, D, Des Moines Buccaneers (USHL)
- Winnipeg gets a defenseman for depth. Mario Ferraro is the top defenseman available.
Philadelphia Flyers: Austin Pratt, C, Red Deer Rebels (WHL)
- The Flyers can ignore need and take the best player on the board. Austin Pratt could go as early as the second round and as late as the fourth round which is why he's a good pick in the third round since he can wow you on tape at times.
Tampa Bay Lightning: Zach Salow, C, Dubuque Fighting Saints (USHL)
- The 5-9 180 lb Zach Salow is fast and elusive. Salow has the versatility to play left wing, center, or right wing. He can be a plug-in-play player at forward for an NHL team. Has an extremely high hockey IQ and will go to Northeastern to develop.
New York Islanders: Will Warm, D, Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL)
- The Islanders draft a quarterback on the power play. Will Warm is excellent on offense with a knuckle puck shot like in the Mighty Ducks movie while being a sound passer, but horrible with his fundamentals defensively.
Arizona Coyotes: Jack Studnica, C, Oshawa Generals (OHL)
- Jack Studnica would be a great pickup here. He becomes the first General drafted in the third round.
Detroit Red Wings: Stuart Skinner, G, Lethbridge Hurricanes (WHL)
- Detroit takes a developmental goalie here. Stuart Skinner is the top goalie on the board and he has a good save percentage despite giving up a lot of goals. The 6-4 207 lb goalie was a first round pick in the 2013 WHL Bantam Draft.
Philadelphia Flyers: Ryan Hughes, RW, Portland Winterhawks (WHL)
- Philadelphia gets a forward for depth. Ryan Hughes has the versatility to play left wing, center, or right wing. He has the moves and concentration to develop into a special player down the road when you watch his tape.
San Jose Sharks: Greg Miereles, C, Kitchener Rangers (OHL)
- Greg Miereles may be the best prospect on the Mitchener Rangers this year. San Jose drafts the 5-10 174 lb center who does well offensively, but struggles defensively.
Edmonton Oilers: Zachary Gallant, C, Peterborough Petes (OHL)
- Edmonton takes the best player available. At this point that player is Zachary Gallant.
Detroit Red Wings: Alexei Lipanov, C, UHC Dynamo Moscow (KHL)
- Detroit takes the best player available. At this point that is Alexei Lipanov.
Edmonton Oilers: Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen, G, HPK (SM Liiga)
- Some teams have a second round grade on Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen. Some teams in Finland believe he's the Finish version of Marc-Andre Fleury.
Minnesota Wild: Scott Reedy, C, USNTDP (USHL)
- Scott Reedy has amazing awareness on tape. He's someone Minnesota can develop here.
Columbus Blue Jackets: Jacob Tortora, LW, USNTDP (USHL)
- Jacob Tortora is a good left winger. He has the vision and awareness to be a great decision maker on offense, plus there is potential for him to be a power play guy down the road as well.
Montreal Canadiens: Morgan Geekie, C, Tri-City Americans (WHL)
- Some believe Morgan Geekie is a second round prospect. I wasn't as impressed with his tape so I put him in the third round.
Detroit Red Wings: MacKenzie Entwistle, RW, Hamilton Bulldogs (OHL)
- Detroit takes a right winger. MacKenzie Entwistle has excellent stick handling that stands out on tape.
Buffalo Sabres: Ostap Sefin, RW, HC Sparta Praha (Extraliga)
- Ostap Sefin is one of the top prospects from the Extraliga league. Buffalo can take him as a developmental player here.
Chicago Blackhawks: Cayden Primeau, G, Lincoln Stars (USHL)
- Chicago traded Scott Darling to Carolina and got this pick. The Blackhawks can get Darling's replacement here.
Anaheim Ducks: Adam Ruzicka, C, Sarnia Sting (OHL)
- The 6-4 209 lb Adam Ruzicka has incredible size. He seems like someone Anaheim may take.
Nashville Predators: Clayton Phillips, D, Fargo Force (USHL)
- Clayton Phillips has a third to fourth round grade. Phillips is really impressive at times though and shows flashes of second round tape. Phillips can develop at Minnesota before joining the Predators.
Previous Pick: Max Gildon, D, USNTDP (USHL)
Pittsburgh Penguins: Matthew Murray, G, Fargo Force (USHL)
- The Penguins will lose Marc Andre-Fleury to the Expansion Draft who did well as a starter during the Penguins Stanley Cup run until he got benched behind Murray. They can draft another Matt Murray to develop here. Two Matt Murray's are better than one.
Other 2017 NHL Mock Drafts