2017 NHL Mock Draft Final Mock: 7 Rounds
Chris Ransom follow @DraftUtopia Last Updated: June 23, 2017.
Colorado Avalanche: Jake Oettinger, G, Boston University
- Jake Oettinger has a 2.11 Goals Against Average and a .927 save percentage in 35 starts with Boston University. Some teams have a first round grade on him. The other thing is Colorado needs a long-term goalie to develop so with Oettinger being the best player on the board, this is easily the best pick for Colorado to make at this point.
Vancouver Canucks: Connor Timmins, D, Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (OHL)
- The 6-1 181 lb Connor Timmins is a two-way defender who is drawing late first round consideration. I came away extremely impressed with his tape and would not be surprised at all if he went late first round.
Vegas Golden Knights: Maxime Comtois, LW, Victoriaville Tigres (QMJHL)
- Maxime Comtois underperformed after entering the year a top 15 pick. Comtois falls to this pick in the second round.
Arizona Coyotes: Lukas Elvenes, RW, Rogle B.K. (Elitserien)
- Arizona drafts the 6-0 174 lb Lukas Elvenes. Elvenes has the versatility to play left wing, center, or right wing in the NHL once he develops.
New Jersey Devils: Jocktan Chainey, D, Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL)
- The 6-1 196 lb Jocktan Chainey has second round ability. I feel like New Jersey can go best player available with all the depth and draft picks they have.
Buffalo Sabres: Grant Mismash, LW, USNTDP (USHL)
- Grant Mismash was a first round prospect at one point. Mismash has the versatility to play left wing, center, or right wing, and Buffalo may view him as a late first round prospect. He's the best player available in the second round.
Detroit Red Wings: Matthew Strome, LW, Hamilton Bulldogs (OHL)
- The Red Wings get Matthew Strome the brother of Ryan and Dylan Strome here. Strome is more of a left winger than a center plus he has trouble skating which is why he falls to the second round. He has the size the Red Wings look for at 6-3 201 lbs which is why I see Strome as a potential fit for the Red Wings here.
Dallas Stars: Max Gildon, D, USNTDP (USHL)
- The 6-3 187 lb Max Gildon is from Plano, Texas. He is someone Dallas may reach for since the Stars interviewed him at the 2017 NHL Combine despite having a mid second round grade. Gildon is someone that is a local kid that Dallas could develop for a few years.
Previous Pick: Nikita Popugayev, RW, Prince George Cougars (WHL)
Florida Panthers: Nicholas Henry, RW, Regina Pats (WHL)
- The 6-0 190 lb Nicholas Henry only has one year of experience. Henry had 35 goals, 46 assists, 81 points and a +32 +/- ratio in 72 games during his first full season in the WHL. Henry plays both offense and defense well and has potential to be picked anywhere between late round one and early round three. The only knock on Henry is that he only has one year of experience in the juniors. Henry would be ranked in the top 20 if he had multiple seasons with experience in the WHL.
Previous Pick: Morgan Frost, C, Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (OHL)
Los Angeles Kings: Pierre-Olivier Joseph, D, Charlottetown Islanders (QMJHL)
- The Kings get a defenseman. Pierre-Olivier Joseph is the top defenseman available.
Carolina Hurricanes: Nikita Popugayev, RW, Prince George Cougars (WHL)
- Nikita Popugayev had 69 points in 71 WHL games with two different teams. Popugayev began the season with the Moose Jaw Warriors, but was traded to the Prince George Cougars later in the season. He could go anywhere between the first and second round and is a great value pick at this point.
Previous Pick: Josh Brook, D, Moose Jaw Warriors (WHL)
Winnipeg Jets: Jaret Anderson-Dolan, C, Spokane Chiefs (WHL)
- Winnipeg gets a center for depth. Jaret Anderson-Dolan was line mates with Kailer Yamamoto. He's done so well that he could go anywhere from the late first to mid second round. His tape wasn't as impressive as Yamamoto, but he's still too talented to slip out of the first two rounds.
Philadelphia Flyers: Ivan Lodina, RW, Erie Otters (OHL)
- The 5-10 183 lb Ivan Lodina is the next NHL Draft prospect on the Erie Otters. Right now his role is limited, but Philadelphia can develop him.
Vegas Golden Knights: Morgan Frost, C, Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (OHL)
- The 5-11 170 lb Morgan Frost had 20 goals, 42 assists, and 62 points in 67 OHL games. I had a top 40 grade on Frost so he's a clear steal at this point.
Previous Pick: Michael DiPietro, G, Windsor Spitfires (OHL)
New York Islanders: Henri Jokiharju, D, Portland Winterhawks (WHL)
- The 6-0 170 lb defenseman was a line 1 defenseman with Patrick Laine last year on Tappara in the SM Liiga league in Finland. He's a great two way defender and he is from Finland like Klingberg. Jokiharju is a guy who can pass the puck well, shoot it, or cause a take away with a turnover. New York needs a defender like this here.
Previous Pick: Kasper Kotkansalo, D, Sioux Falls Stampede (USHL)
Ottawa Senators: Antoine Morand, C, Acadie-Bathurst Titan (QMJHL)
- Antoine Morand is a decent playmaker. He's someone that can develop into a solid role player on Ottawa's new AHL team in a few years.
Tampa Bay Lightning: Roger Karrer, D, ZSC Lions (National League A)
- Roger Karrer is the top player on the board. Karrer is my top National League A prospect currently playing in Switzerland.
New Jersey Devils: Jesper Boqvist, C, Brynas I.F. (Elitserien)
- Jesper Boqvist can play left wing, center, or right wing with his versatility. Boqvist may end up getting called up to the AHL right away which is why the Sharks have nothing to lose by taking a flyer on him in the second round.
Anaheim Ducks: Josh Brook, D, Moose Jaw Warriors (WHL)
- The 6-2 185 lb Josh Brook is a good value pick for Anaheim. Brook is the best player available at 50.
Previous Pick: Luke Martin, D, Michigan
St. Louis Blues: Mason Shaw, C, Medicine Hat Tigers (WHL)
- Mason Shaw has the size and awareness that NHL teams look for. He seems like someone the Blues could rely on down the road.
Carolina Hurricanes: Joshua Norris, C, USNTDP (USHL)
- Joshua Norris had 26 points on the USNTDP team in the USHL. Norris has NHL potential, but also will be at Michigan for two years while he develops.
Boston Bruins: Isaac Ratcliffe, LW, Guelph Storm (OHL)
- The Boston Bruins draft the top player available at this pick. Isaac Ratcliffe was a top 15 prospect at one point.
Buffalo Sabres: Michael DiPietro, G, Windsor Spitfires (OHL)
- The 6-0 192 lb Michael DiPietro is undersized for a goalie. He's the only other goalie outside of Jake Oettinger drawing first round consideration. DiPietro had a 2.35 Goals Against Average and a .917 save percentage during the regular season. DiPietro also had a .917 save percentage during the 2017 OHL Playoffs.
Previous Pick: Maxim Zhukov, G, Green Bay Gamblers (USHL)
Vancouver Canucks: Kasper Kotkansalo, D, Sioux Falls Stampede (USHL)
- The Canucks draft the 6-2 190 lb Kasper Kotkansalo. Kotkansalo is a defensive defenseman who will play for Boston University for a year before signing with the team that drafts him.
Previous Pick: Clayton Phillips, D, Fargo Force (USHL)
Montreal Canadiens: Artem Minulin, D, Swift Current Broncos (WHL)
- Artem Minulin is a 6-2 198 lb defenseman who had 8 goals, 42 assists, and 50 points in 70 games this season. Minulin is a great addition for Montreal at this point.
Chicago Blackhawks: Reilly Walsh, D, Chicago Steel (USHL)
- Chicago adds a future defenseman to develop. Reilly Walsh is the top defenseman available at this point.
Montreal Canadiens: Stelio Mattheos, C, Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL)
- Stelio Mattheos was the line 2 center behind Nolan Patrick to begin the season. He finished with more points than Patrick and gained some invaluable experience on the top line this year due to Patrick being injured. He doesn't have the leadership or upside of Patrick, but Mattheos boosted his stock with the experience he acquired.
Toronto Maple Leafs: Macauley Carson, LW, Sudbury Wolves (OHL)
- The 6-1 206 lb Macauley Carson had 30 goals, 20 assists, and 50 points in 68 games with the Sudbury Wolves. He's raw, but can excel offensively and defensively to the point where he is AHL ready. This is a winger Toronto can stash in their farm system so when the Marlies enter a rebuilding phase, Carson can step up.
Anaheim Ducks: Maxim Zhukov, G, Green Bay Gamblers (USHL)
- The 6-3 196 lb Maxim Zhukov had a 2.25 Goals Against Average and a .913 save percentage in 31 starts in 2016-2017. Zhukov gives Anaheim a developmental goalie that they desperately need.
Previous Pick: Martin Bodak, D, Tappara (SM Liiga)
Nashville Predators: Luke Martin, D, Michigan
- The 6-1 200 lb Luke Martin was once considered a preseason first round pick. Martin is the best player available at 60.
Previous Pick: Jarrett Tyszka, D, Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL)
Vegas Golden Knights: Martin Bodak, D, Tappara (SM Liiga)
- The 6-1 176 lb defenseman from Tappara is one of the best defensive defenseman in the 2017 NHL Draft. He's raw, but the potential to be a two-way defenseman in the NHL is there.
Previous Pick: Nicholas Henry, RW, Regina Pats (WHL)
Other 2017 NHL Mock Drafts