2020 USHL Draft Results
The 2020 USHL Draft has future NHL talent on display. Find out who went to what USHL team in the strongest USHL Draft in recent memory.
Chris Ransom follow @DraftUtopia Last Updated: June 20, 2020.
Madison Capitols: Quinn Finley, C, (2022) A+ Grade
- The 5-11 161 lb Quinn Finley has the versatility to play left wing, center, or right wing. Finley had 16 goals, 19 assists, and 35 points in 15 games. He's been skating since he was 3-years-old. His work ethic and experience speaks for itself. There was a good reason that Quinn Finley was the first pick in the 2020 USHL Draft.
- Quin Finley has the playmaking, wrist shot power, wrist shot accuracy, slap shot power, and slap shot accuracy to be a stud prospect. He is a fast skater. One thing he needs to improve is he needs to keep his knees straight when skating. This will allow him to glide onto the ice faster and skate with more precision, speed, burst, and acceleration. I wish fans could see him on Madison this year rather than in 2021-2022.
- Last year Madison got Luke Mittelstadt the younger brother of Casey Mitteldstadt. Now they got the top player in the 2020 USHL Draft.
Sioux City Musketeers: Nick Pierre, LW, (2022) A+ Grade
- The 5-9 174 lb Nick Pierre was a three year starter at Hill Murray High School. He led his team with 19 goals, 27 assists, and 46 assists during his sophomore year. THe Sioux City Musketeers used a tender on Nick Pierre so he will make the immediate jump to the USHL and have two seasons of USHL experience before he enrolls into Wisconsin which is also where Quinn Finley is expected to enroll. Wisconsin already secured Pierre, but Finley's status on the NCAA is undecided at the moment.
Cedar Rapids RoughRiders: Cade Littler, RW, (2021) A+ Grade
- The 6-2 190 lb Cade Littler had 46 goals, 44 assists, and 90 points 55 games in 2019-2020 after only having 27 points in 17 games. Cade Littler has the playmaking, wrist shot power, wrist shot accuracy, slap shot power, and slap shot accuracy you want a future NHL prospect to have. Cade Littler's father Bliss Littler was the head coach of a Tri-City Storm team that went a franchise best 43-17 in 2003-2004 prior to the day Littler was born on July 12, 2004 which also happens to be the same day my older brother was born.
- Sorry readers, you're not getting my brothers year of birth. Besides, I don't feel the need to go off topic.
Des Moines Buccaneers: Michael Stenberg, RW, (2023) C Grade
- Michael Stenberg went from 16 to 41 points. He doesn't turn 16-years-old until September 22 and is not NHL Draft eligible until 2023. There were steals in this draft that fell much further than they should have because Des Moines reached for Michael Stenberg which is why the Buccaneers got a C grade here after getting an F grade a year ago.
Muskegon Lumberjacks: Owen Mehlenbacher, LW, (2022) B Grade
- The 6-2 174 lb Owen Mehlenbacher had 36 goals, 32 assists, and 68 points in 69 games. He did well enough to earn this tender. However, I am giving this pick a solid B grade since he did not average 1 point per game.
Youngstown Phantoms: Jack Larrigan, RW, (2022) A+ Grade
- The 5-10 161 lb Jack Larrigan had 40 goals, 35 assists, and 75 points in 46 games played. Honestly Jack Larrigan may be the best addition that the Youngstown Phantoms have had since they got Kyle Connor. I love this pick and will not be one bit surprised if Larrigan surges up draft boards like Connor did when Kyle Connor was a 2015 NHL Draft Prospect.
Sioux Falls Stampede: Ryan Healey, D, (2021) F Grade
- Ryan Healey may end up going to the QMJHL instead of the USHL. That's why I'm on the fence about this pick. The 5-11 150 lb Ryan Healey only had 1 point in 2019-2020 and this pick feels like a huge reach.
Lincoln Stars: Chase Pietila, D, (2022) A+ Grade
- The 6-2 194 lb Chase Pietila had 12 goals, 52 assists, and 64 points in 61 games as an alternate captain. Lincoln used a tender to sign Pietila now. I cannot wait to see what Pietila does with Carter Schade last years number one overall pick in the 2019 USHL Draft.
Green Bay Gamblers: Cameron VanSickle, LW, (2022) A+ Grade
- The 6-1 194 lb Cameron VanSickle had 31 goals, 44 assists, and 75 points in 53 games. Last year the Green Bay Gamblers got Ryan Greene and now they got Cameron VanSickle to pair up with him.
Tri-City Storm: Vinny Borgesi, D, (2022) A+ Grade
- The 5-10 146 lb Vinny Borgesi had 12 goals, 88 assists, and an other worldy 100 points as a defender in 61 games. The Tri-City Storm got a fantastic value pick here.
Chicago Steel: Andon Cerbone, C, (2022) A+ Grade
- The 5-9 157 lb Andon Cerbone had 11 goals, 36 assists, and 47 points in 31 games. Cerbone is a playmaker that will create scoring chances for his teammates.
Chicago Steel: Zam Plante, C, (2022) A+ Grade
- The 5-7 130 lb Zam Plante won Bantam Player Of The Year. Chicago now has two more centers after losing their top two centers to the NCAA after the 2020 NHL Draft takes place.
Waterloo Blackhawks: Michael La Starza, LW, (2022) A Grade
- The 5-10 165 lb Michael La Starza had 24 goals, 42 assists, and 66 points in 45 games last year. Michael La Starza is a playmaker that can create scoring chances. His film is impressive and he may end up being Waterloo's most promising prospect since Brock Boesser.
Dubuque Fighting Saints: Reiger Lorenz, C, (2022) F Grade
- It's uncertain whether Lorenz goes to the WHL or USHL. I'm leaning USHL, but this pick felt like a reach.
Chicago Steel: Adam Fantilli, C, (2023) A+ Grade
- Adam Fantilli was supposed to go first overall in the 2020 OHL Priority Selection. The Chicago Steel successfully tendered the top overall OHL prospect and got him to come play with his older brother in the USHL. Adam Fantilli is currently the front runner to go first overall in the 2023 NHL Entry Draft. The Chicago Steel are building a factory for NHL prospects in the USHL much like what the USNTDP did over the years.
USNTDP: Jack Devine, C, (2022) A+ Grade
- Jack Devine is a projected top ten pick in the 2022 NHL Draft. Team USA got Luke Hughes last year and they struck gold again.
Other 2019 NHL Mock Drafts