2017 Fantasy Baseball Catcher Rankings
Chris Ransom follow @DraftUtopia Last Updated: February 8, 2017.
- Buster Posey, C, San Francisco Giants
- Buster Posey is still the MLBs top catcher even with a down year in 2016. Taking him before the third round is irresponsible though.
- Gary Sanchez, C, New York Yankees
- Gary Sanchez batted .299 and hit 20 home runs as a rookie. Sanchez is 24-years-old while Posey is 30-years-old, so getting someone like Sanchez in the sixth round provides better value. Also, if you play in dynasty leagues Sanchez will provide you with more value than Posey because of what he can provide long term.
- Jonathan Lucroy, C, Texas Rangers
- Jonathan Lucroy is 31-years-old. Lucroy enters a contract year after batting .292 and hitting 24 home runs in 2016. Lucroy may be motivated to have a big year.
- Evan Gattis, C, Houston Astros
- Evan Gattis hit 32 home runs in 2016. Gattis has a chance to hit 35 home runs in 2017 despite being a DH and is still projected as a catcher in some Fantasy Baseball leagues despite this.
- Yasmani Grandal, C, Los Angeles Dodgers
- Yasmani Grandal is a premium catcher in on base percentage leagues. He's only 28-years-old so he still has room to grow.
- J.T. Realmuto, C, Miami Marlins
- J.T. Realmuto is a power bat that batted .303 in 2016. I feel like Realmuto is a complete catcher for the most part outside of his lack of home run hitting.
- Salvador Perez, C, Kansas City Royals
- Salvador Perez is a consistent top 10 catcher. His home run ability continues to improve even though his batting average has peaked. I don't think his batting average will decline, but it is hard to see that batting average go above .250.
- Willson Contreras, C, Chicago Cubs
- Willson Contreras should get more experience. He also splits reps with Miguel Montero and Kyle Schwarber which may limit the amount of games he sees at catcher.
- Brian McCann, C, Houston Astros
- Brian McCann is still a top 10 catcher and a productive power hitter. The 33-year-old catcher is on the decline though.
- Russell Martin, C, Toronto Blue Jays
- Russell Martin batted .231 in 2016 with 20 home runs. Martin could be someone who rebounds in 2017.
Draft Utopia 2017 Fantasy Baseball Rankings