2017 NBA Mock Draft: Debut
Round 1 Picks 16-30
Chris Ransom follow @DraftUtopia Last Updated: February 22, 2017.
Detroit Pistons: Justin Patton, C, Creighton
- Justin Patton is the best center in the 2017 NBA Draft at the moment. There are trade rumors involving Pistons superstar center Andre Drummond which is the only reason I'm mocking Patton here for the time being.
Chicago Bulls: John Collins, PF, Wake Forest
- John Collins is averaging a ridiculous 19 points per game. With Taj Gibson set to be a Free Agent in 2017, Collins is a good pick at this spot.
Indiana Pacers: Isaiah Hartenstein, PF, Zalgiris
- His size and power forward possibilities of stars leaving the Pacers makes him an enticing option at 18. He shows some potential and will be able to help control the boards and dictate the tempo.
Oklahoma City Thunder: Tyler Lydon, SF, Syracuse
- Tyler Lydon would be an upgrade over Andre Robertson. The 6-10 205 lb Lydon is versatile enough to play small forward or power forward. Lydon needs to do a better job avoiding turnovers though.
Atlanta Hawks: Luke Kennard, SG, Duke
- Atlanta has five starters that average double digit points per game. The 6-6 202 lb Luke Kennard is averaging a mind boggling 20 points per game at shooting guard and is too good to pass on at this point.
Toronto Raptors: Rodions Kurucus, PF, F.C. Barcelona
- Toronto loses three power forwards to Free Agency. The Raptors have been known for taking International players here and Rodions Kurucus is a player I can see the Raptors adding here.
Portland Trail Blazers: Jaron Blossomgame, SF, Clemson
- Jaron Blossomgame is someone with a second round grade at the moment. He has tons of potential and plays great defense so I expect him to get pushed into the late first round.
Utah Jazz: Alec Peters, PF, Valparaiso
- The Jazz need an upgrade at power forward over Derrick Favors. The 6-9 225 lb Alec Peters averages 22.5 points per game and 9.9 rebounds so far in 2016. Peters seems like someone the Jazz would spend a first round pick on.
Washington Wizards: Terrance Ferguson, SG, Adelaide
- The Washington Wizards will need a shooting guard for depth as the only free agent they lose in 2017 is the backup to Bradley Beal. Terrance Ferguson looks NBA ready and is a steal at 24.
Orlando Magic: OG Anunoby, SF, Indiana
- Orlando should get Justin Jackson out of North Carolina here. I think they will end up drafting OG Anunoby coming off a season ending injury expecting a steal only to be very disappointed.
Brooklyn Nets: Harry Giles, PF, Duke
- Harry Giles was the top prospect back at the beginning of the year. He falls to Brooklyn due to injuries.
Los Angeles Lakers: Caleb Swanigan, PF, Purdue
- The 6-9 250 lb Caleb Swanigan is a power forward/center. Swanigan is an upgrade at power forward over Julius Randle and would be an upgrade over Mozgov as well. Swanigan averages 18.6 points per game and 12.9 rebounds per game. The Lakers cannot say no to Swanigan at this spot even with a dire need at center. Thomas Bryant the Indiana center is someone I also considered, but the value Swanigan provides is too good for the Lakers to pass on.
Portland Trail Blazers: Thomas Bryant, C, Indiana
- After reaching for Bam at 15, the Blazers take another center who gets molded into a future starter with the right work ethic and patience. Thomas Bryant is too good to pass on at this point.
San Antonio Spurs: Josh Hart, SG, Villanova
- San Antonio gets a shooting guard for when Manu Ginobli retires. Josh Hart averages 18.8 points per game and was a key piece if not the key piece in Villanova's Championship run.
Utah Jazz: Grayson Allen, SG, Duke
- Utah takes a guard for depth. Grayson Allen seems like a player the Jazz would select here plus its hard not to see Grayson Allen in the first round.
Other 2017 NBA Mock Drafts