Tony Mario's 2017 NFL Mock Draft: 7 Rounds
Round 1 Picks 17-32
Tony Mario Last Updated: April 24, 2017.
Washington Redskins: Malik McDowell, 3-4 RE, Michigan State
- Malik McDowell replaces Chris Baker here. McDowell fills a huge position of need for Washington at 17. McDowell may have some character issues with maturity, but he fits Washington perfectly. Washington needs to look past that though since McDowell is too talented to slip to 49 with the Minnesota Vikings also showing interest in McDowell at 48 in the second round.
- Other Washington Redskins Selections
Tennessee Titans: Corey Davis, WR, Western Michigan
- Marcus Mariota needs a playmaker to throw to. Corey Davis is someone the Titans will strongly consider at 18 if he's there giving Mariota a #1 target to throw to.
- Other Tennessee Titans Selections
Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Budda Baker, FS, Washington
- Tampa Bay gets one more safety that can push Keith Tandy and Chris Conte for the starting free safety job next to J.J. Wilcox. Wilcox is moving from free safety in Dallas to strong safety in Tampa Bay. Tampa Bay is showing a lot of interest in both Obi Melifonwu and Budda Baker so I have to believe the Buccaneers will take one of them at 19.
- Other Tampa Bay Buccaneers Selections
Denver Broncos: David Njoku, TE, Miami FL
- The Denver Broncos get their replacement to Julius Thomas here. David Njoku corrected all of his issues at his Pro Day. He's a guy that is rising up boards and Denver showed a lot of interest in O.J. Howard who has dominated this draft process to the point where he's out of reach for Denver. Njoku isn't out of reach for Denver. I'm not sure if Cam Robinson, Ryan Ramczyk, or Garrett Bolles is worth taking this high at 20 so in this mock based on the tape I've seen.
- That's why I'm going to change things in this mock. Gettng Paxton Lynch another weapon that's a sure thing like tight end David Njoku or Stanford running back Christian McCaffrey makes sense. I don't see Elway taking McCaffrey at 20 even if he's here so Denver turns some heads by passing on McCaffrey and all of the left tackles for David Njoku at 20.
- Other Denver Broncos Selections
Detroit Lions: Jabrill Peppers, SS, Michigan
- Detroit gets Jabrill Peppers who can play everywhere and do everything on defense. His lack of size at both safety and linebacker cause him to drop into the 21-32 range. The hometown Lions take Peppers here in this mock draft though.
- Other Detroit Lions Selections
Miami Dolphins: Haason Reddick, LOLB, Temple
- Putting Haason Reddick at 4-3 left outside linebacker next to right outside linebacker Kiko Alonso and middle linebacker Lawrence Timmons gives the Dolphns the linebackers to stop the run. Alonso and Timmons are known for being tackling machines rather than sack artists or coverage guys.
- That's why Reddick compliments both perfectly at in the SAM role for Miami on the strong side because while Alonso and Timmons are effective on the blitz sometimes, neither is dominant in coverage at linebacker which is why the Dolphins should draft a linebacker who can cover well hoping to isolate Rob Gronkowski while adding another guy who can put pressure on Tom Brady. With Reddick, the Dolphins can take the first step towards challenging the New England Patriots for the AFC East next season assuming Tannehill and this offensive line stay healthy because Miami has a young and hungry team on the offensive side of the ball that's paid their dues learning from experience.
- Other Miami Dolphins Selections
New York Giants: Cam Robinson, LT, Alabama
- Ereck Flowers is not a left tackle. Cam Robinson would be an upgrade over Flowers at left tackle plus the Giants can put Robinson at right tackle and move Bobby Hart to right guard if they draft Robinson. Flowers would be better at right tackle with Robinson as Eli's blindside, but the Giants could leave Flowers at left tackle.
Previous Pick: Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford
- Other New York Giants Selections
Oakland Raiders: Gareon Conley, CB, Ohio State
- Gareon Conley makes a lot of sense for the Oakland Raiders here. Conley would give the Raiders someone to push David Amerson for the #1 corner role and would allow the Raiders to demote the overpaid Shaun Smith to a nickel corner role. Or they could start Conley in the nickel and give him Smith's job as he gains more experience assuming Smith struggles next season.
- Other Oakland Raiders Selections
Houston Texans: Patrick Mahomes, QB, Texas Tech
- For a while I believed Tony Romo would end up on the Texans until he went rouge like Jason Bourne only to team up with Jim Nantz, but at least we don't have to worry about Phil Simms anymore. Romo's decision to retire alters things and pushes Patrick Mahomes into the first round even though I see a second round prospect. With DeShone Kizer and Deshaun Watson also getting invited to the 2017 NFL Draft in Philadelphia, they could be options as well, but John McClain of the Houston Chronicle believes they should take Patrick Mahomes by mentioning how good of a work ethic Mahomes has. If Mahomes work ethic is that strong, I won't argue with taking him here.
- Other Houston Texans Selections
Seattle Seahawks: Ryan Ramczyk, LT, Wisconsin
- The Seahawks get a blindside at 26. Ryan Ramczyk is better on tape than Garrett Bolles so if Seattle is willing to look past Ramczyk's hip injury he's the pick here.
Previous Pick: Cam Robinson, LT, Alabama
- Other Seattle Seahawks Selections
Kansas City Chiefs: Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson
- The Kansas City Chiefs released Nick Foles and need a backup. The only team that gave Deshaun Watson multiple interviews was the Kansas City Chiefs. If that's the case the Chiefs can take my final first round quarterback and groom him behind Alex Smith.
- Other Kansas City Chiefs Selections
Dallas Cowboys: Adoree Jackson, CB, USC
- Dallas has been linked to Adoree Jackson. The Cowboys draft Jackson at 28 here because they need another cornerback to compliment Anthony Brown.
- Other Dallas Cowboys Selections
Green Bay Packers: Charles Harris, 3-4 ROLB, Missouri
- Green Bay can go with the best player available. At this point that is Charles Harris who would provide a pass rusher. Clay Matthews dealt with injuries, Nick Perry will compliment him, but they won't have depth behind Matthews and Perry so Green Bay could easily reload at pass rusher with someone like Harris if he's there at 29.
- Other Green Bay Packers Selections
Pittsburgh Steelers: Takkarist McKinley, 3-4 ROLB, UCLA
- The Steelers have to find a successor to James Harrison and a replacement for Lawrence Timmons at both outside and inside linebacker. There are more outside linebackers that provide better value at 30 then their are middle linebackers. Pittsburgh drafts Takkarist McKinley to groom for the future here after a careful and deliberate process where they worked out so many other pass rushers.
- Other Pittsburgh Steelers Selections
Atlanta Falcons: Forrest Lamp, RG, Western Kentucky
- Atlanta drafts Forrest Lamp here. Lamp can play all 5 positions on the offensive line plus the Falcons interviewed Lamp and worked him out in Atlanta. He makes sense as a replacement to Chris Chester at right guard who retired. Hugh Thornton did sign with Atlanta, but on a one-year deal for less than a million dollars. I'm guessing they brought him in for depth because guys who get less than a million a year rarely start, besides Lamp is an upgrade over Chester too which is another thing to consider.
- Other Atlanta Falcons Selections
New Orleans Saints: Zach Cunningham, MLB, Vanderbilt
- New Orleans gets a middle linebacker at 32. Zach Cunningham makes so much sense for the Saints to wrap up the first round.
- Other New Orleans Saints Selections
Other 2017 NFL Mock Drafts