2019 MLS Super Draft Results
Round 1 Picks 13-24
Chris Ransom follow @DraftUtopia Last Updated: January 14, 2019.
F.C. Cincinnati: Logan Gdula, D, Wake Forest A+ Grade
- As crazy as it sounds, I actually like this pick better then the Frankie Amaya pick at 1. Logan Gdula is one of the top right backs in this years class.
- The 5-11 160 lb Logan Gdula is one of the top right backs in College Soccer. Gdula helped Wake Forest record 7 shutouts in 2018. He showed the versatility to play left back at the 2019 MLS Combine and really excelled defensively. I believe Gdula is the tenth best player in the class so New England gets a steal at 13.
D.C. United: Akeem Ward, D, Creighton A+ Grade
- The 5-7 150 lb Akeem Ward has experience at left back, center back, and right back. His versatility makes Ward a great outside back in the MLS. Ward helped Creighton get 7 shutouts in 2018. Akeem Ward has continued to dominate the 2019 MLS Combine.
- Akeem Ward gives D.C. United an outside back. D.C. United was looking for more help at outside back.
Minnesota United F.C.: Chase Gasper, D, Maryland C- Grade
- Chase Gasper is a reach at 15. However, he is re-uniting with Maryland teammate Dayne St. Clair who Minnesota took at 7. Both Maryland soccer players will push each other and Minnesota United F.C. knows this. That's why the worst grade I can hand Minnesota United F.C. is a C- grade.
New York Red Bulls: Roy Boateng, D, UC Davis C Grade
- The 6-2 195 lb Roy Boateng was a player I saw at the hotel the day before the 2019 MLS Super Draft. He was one of the best center backs in the nation. Even though he didn't make my top 50, you can argue that Draft Utopia screwed up royally by not adding him to our top 50. He only helped UC Davis record 6 shutouts in 2018 and 5 shutouts in 2017. The worst I can give New York Red Bulls is a C grade. He's fast as a cheetah. Displays the size and athleticism you want from a first round pick.
Real Salt Lake: Sam Brown, M, Harvard C Grade
- Sam Brown barely rounded out my top 50. I am suprised he got picked this early though. I will give Real Salt Lake a C grade though.
Columbus Crew S.C.: J.J. Williams, F, Kentucky A+ Grade
- Caleb Porter was kind enough to take a photo with me before the 2019 MLS Super Draft. He also asked about Draft Utopia when he saw my microphone. I'll probably post a separate MLS Super Draft live blog with audio footage of all our interviews from Chicago as well as photos from the Super Draft when I return to Pittsburgh.
- The irony is Columbus drafted the top player on our board by selecting Kentucky forward J.J. Williams with the eighteenth pick in the 2019 MLS Super Draft. Williams was second overall on my 2019 MLS Draft Game.
- I am not implying Porter used our board, I am strictly asking myself if he did out of curiosity even though he probably didn't. It is just a crazy coincidence that Columbus Crew S.C. took the top player on our board here.
- Personally, I think this is a fantastic selection by Columbus Crew S.C. Their other in-state rival F.C. Cincinnati had a scout at the 2019 MLS Super Draft tell me that F.C. Cincinnati passed on J.J. Williams because he had a poor MLS Combine. I felt like Team Copa struggled during the 2019 MLS Combine largely due to not having a goal scorer like J.J. Williams. Then again, if other MLS scouts didn't like his combine, it explains why Williams slipped to eighteen.
- The 6-4 200 lb J.J. Williams had 18 goals, 8 assists, and 44 points in 2018. Williams can play striker, secondary striker, left wing, or right wing with his versatility.
Los Angeles Galaxy: Emil Cuello, M, SMU F Grade
- My favorite MLS team passed on Tucker Bone and Sergio Rivas for Emil Cuello who is good with 5 goals, 7 assists, and 17 points. It's just Tucker Bone and Sergio Rivas are that much better. Both are top 12 players on my board. I am giving my favorite MLS team the second F grade of the day and it brings me great pain to do this.
Seattle Sounders: Tucker Bone, M, Air Force A+ Grade
- Tucker Bone out of Air Force had 13 goals, 6 assists, and 32 points in 2018. Bone likes to skateboard as a hobby too. He's only 5-11 160 lbs. You can argue he's undersized, but he's a threat to score everytime he touches the ball due to his speed, touch, and dribbling. He will make the right play happen either by scoring or getting teammates involved. Bone is one of the best attacking midfielders in this class that you can line up in the middle.
Sporting Kansas City: Kamar Marriott, D, Florida Gulf Coast F Grade
- The 6-4 185 lbs Kamar Marriott missed the entire 2017 regular season at Florida Gulf Coast. He came back on a redshirt and helped Florida Gulf Coast record 5 shutouts. I still am trying to grasp how this guy went in the first round and how Albert Ruiz went undrafted last year even when I had a first round grade on Ruiz. The MLS has a very fascinating way of assessing prospects from Florida Gulf Coast.
New York Red Bulls: Janos Loebe, M, Fordham B Grade
- The 5-11 165 lb Janos Loebe can play attacking midfielder, be used as a playmaker who gets double digit assists, line up at left wing, or line up at right wing. He's incredibly versatile as a player. He had 7 goals, 11 assists, and 25 points in 2018. I had a second round grade on Loebe, but this is a fantastic pick for the New York Red Bulls.
Portland Timbers: Ryan Sierakowski, F, Michigan State C Grade
- The 6-1 170 lb Ryan Sierakowski had 9 goals, 3 assists, and 21 points in 2017. Sierakowski had 8 goals, 5 assists, and 21 points in 2018. He was assertive, extremely vocal, and interviewed well at the 2019 MLS Combine despite not being on my MLS Draft Game. Sierakowski showed why he belonged in the first round despite my objections about his tape initially so the worst grade I can give Portland is a C grade.
Atlanta United F.C.: Anderson Asiedu, M, UCLA C Grade
- The 5-6 155 lb Anderson Asiedu is one of the fastest players in the class. You can argue after his teammate Frankie Amaya, that Anderson Asiedu is the fastest player in the 2019 MLS Super Draft. That is why I spared Atlanta United F.C. with a C grade because a lot of casual soccer fans really liked this pick even though I think it could work against Atlanta.
MLS Draft Process
Generation Adidas Prospects
MLS Combine Teams
MLS Combine Day 1
MLS Combine Day 2
MLS Combine Day 3
MLS Draft Prospects
Draft Utopia MLS Draft Database-A database list of MLS Mock Drafts
MLS Soccer Superdraft Page
Other 2017 MLS Mock Drafts