Chris Ransom follow @DraftUtopia Last Updated: June 4, 2018.
Tampa Bay Rays: Shane McClanahan, P, South Florida A+ Grade
- Shane McClanahan redshirted in 2016 after dominating as a high school pitcher in Florida due to injuries. McClanahan went 4-2 with a 3.20 ERA and 104 strikeouts in 2017 in his first full season as a starting pitcher.
- McClanahan has pitched 34.2 innings with a 3-2 record so far in 2018 with a 1.56 ERA. He also has 1 perfect game which was a complete game shutout in 2018. McClanahan clocked at 100 miles per hour prior to the 2018 season so both his 4-seam fastball and 2-seam fastball can go up to 100 miles per hour. He possesses excellent delivery and command on his fastball.
- Most of the time he throws a 96-mile per hour 4-seam fastball and a 95-mile per hour 2-seam fastball. He's capable of getting both up to 100 miles per hour. He also possesses a nice 85-mile per hour slider and a 75-mile per hour changeup. You want to see him develop his curveball more and improve his command on some pitches, but his delivery and mechanics are incredible. One scout believes his mechanics compare to Greg Maddux.
- Well fast forward two months later McClanahan has an ERA of 8.24 in conference play at South Florida. He's now 2-4 since starting the season 3-2 now with a 5-6 record and a 3.56 ERA after previously having a 1.56 ERA. McClanahan is still a top ten talent, but his sloppy play as of late will cause him to go from being that sure fire top 5 pick to a borderline top 10 selection.
Tampa Bay Rays: Nick Schnell, CF, Roncalli HS (IN) D Grade
- Nick Schnell is a reach here. Schnell is someone who the Rays can develop and they got 2 top 10 picks so that's why they got spared of an F grade.
Kansas City Royals: Jackson Kowar, P, Florida A+ Grade
- Jackson Kowar is a top 25 talent. The Royals got a huge steal and re-united Kowar with Brady Singer.
Kansas City Royals: Daniel Lynch, P, Virginia A Grade
- Daniel Lynch is the ace on Virginia's staff. I'm giving the Royals an A grade here.
Cleveland Indians: Ethan Hankins, P, Forsyth Central HS (GA) A+ Grade
- Ethan Hankins has the upside to be an MLB All Star down the road. At the same time there are questions with his durability and velocity despite the fact that he's healthy and pitching again.
- Hankins is the guy I would take here. Cleveland is getting a huge steal here at 35.
Pittsburgh Pirates: Gunner Hogland, P, Fivay HS (FL) F Grade
- Gunner Hogland is a reach here. Pittsburgh gets another F grade.
Baltimore Orioles: Caydn Greenier, SS, Oregon State B Grade
- Caydn Greenier is a solid pick here. I'll give this a B grade.
San Diego Padres: Xavier Edwards, SS, North Broward Prepatory HS (FL) B Grade
- The Padres did an awesome job getting Xavier Edwards here. This is a solid value pick to groom while Freddy Galvis plays out his contract.
Arizona Diamondbacks: Jake McCarthy, RF, Virginia B Grade
- Jake McCarthy is Virginia's best prospect. Solid pick that warrants a B grade here.
Kansas City Royals: Kris Bubic, P, Stanford A Grade
- I had Bubic going to the Royals at 31. There were better players on the board, but Bubic warrants an A grade at the very worst.
Cleveland Indians: Lenny Torres Jr., P, Beacon HS (NY) A- Grade
- I had a second round grade on Lenny Torres Jr. He weas the best player in the state of New York and made the top 50 so this is a good pick.
Colorado Rockies: Grant Levine, P, Bedford HS (NH) F Grade
- Huge reach by the Rockies here. Nobody ever out of New Hampshire got picked this high.
St. Louis Cardinals: Griffin Roberts, P, Wake Forest A Grade
- Griffin Roberts is a great value pick to wrap up the first round. I really like this pick for the Cardinals at 43.