Mark Sciubba's 2018 NFL Mock Draft: 2.0
Round 1 Picks 1-16
The 2018 NFL Draft may be the deepest quarterback group in quite some time.
Mark Sciubba follow @MarkSciubbaDoe Last Updated: August 9, 2017.
New York Jets: Sam Darnold, QB, USC
- I used the same top 20 as Chris Ransom for my second mock. Our mocks are very different after the first few picks. It's beyond obvious that the Jets will take Sam Darnold first overall because they cut so many players to save cap space hoping to tank for the man from Southern California who headlines this class.
- Ladies and gentleman it looks like we're finally gonna have it. A draft with multiple QBs that could be first round franchise QB potential. Darnold is the best from what I've seen on tape. He looks like a guy you can put right up there with Luck and Winston as far as blue-chip QB prospects go. The one negative right now imo is that USC players ranked number 1 at their position preseason for the draft almost never stay there. Darnold is a QB worth the number 1 pick and all 3 2018 NFL mock drafts on this site have him going first overall to the Jets.
Previous Pick: Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA
Chicago Bears: Mike McGlinchey, OL, Notre Dame
- My second and third best overall players are Josh Rosen and Saquon Barkley. Chicago invested too much in Trubisky to take a quarterback this early. I seriously considered Barkley here, but Jordan Howard had a breakout rookie campaign, plus he's someone Chicago can build their offense around.
- Getting a left tackle that can get the most out of Trubisky and Jordan Howard is paramount if the Windy City wants to move forward with the offense they have in place. Notre Dame offensive tackle Mike McGlinchey has experience as a starter on both sides of the offensive line at offensive tackle making him the ideal left tackle for Chicago here at 2.
Previous Pick: Derwin James, S, Florida State
San Francisco 49ers: Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA
- I doubt SF makes a FA play for a QB unless Cousins or Stafford hits the market. I also believe they wouldn't make a huge play unless they are not in position to draft Darnold or Rosen as well since both PAC 12 QBs can be game changers for an NFL franchise.
- Another great QB prospect Josh Rosen has had big things expected of him since Freshman year. Before the rise of Sam Darnold everyone and their moms had Rosen penciled in as the number 1 pick of the 2018 NFL Draft. He's gotten great coaching at UCLA and is another prospect teams are thinking franchise QB with.
Previous Pick: Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State
Cincinnati Bengals: Arden Key, EDGE, LSU
- Arden Key is a blue chip pass rusher nicknamed "The Tiger" so its kind of fitting for him to be drafted by the Bengals because I can see him playing both the 4-3 and the 3-4. Key is a good prospect for Cincinnati to add here as he compliments Carlos Dunlap perfectly.
Previous Pick: Jaire Alexander, CB, Louisville
Detroit Lions: Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State
- Detroit takes the best player on the board at 5. Saquon Barkley compliments Stafford perfectly and gives the Lions their first special running back since Barry Sanders.
Previous Pick: Courtland Sutton, WR, SMU
Baltimore Ravens: Christian Wilkins, DL, Clemson
- Another year, another Alabama player for the Ravens. If Nick Saban wants it to happen he can probably get Ridley a Heisman. He's so talented and looks like a top 10 talent when he's the featured guy in that Alabama offense.
Previous Pick: Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama
Arizona Cardinals: Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming
- Expect Briscoe to have a Carson Wentz rise this draft process, and for every draft analyst to pretend they knew who he was the whole time. Briscoe Led the FCS in the major passing categories last year and has the build and look of a franchise QB on tape. He had 57 passing TDs and a QB rating of 172.9 while averaging 352 yards a game. I like him better than last years number 2 overall pick Mitchell Trubisky. If he can confirm to teams he's smart, tough, and a leader by next year he can easily hear his name called in round 1. He's my QB2 behind only Darnold.
Previous Pick: Jeremiah Briscoe, QB, Sam Houston State
Miami Dolphins: Minkah Fitzpatrick, CB, Alabama
- I think Miami is gonna find itself in QB purgatory. Realizing that Tannehill is never gonna be the guy to get them a Super Bowl but being too good to be in position to get one in the draft. They found something special in their run game and they continue to build on that here with the guy whose name will be the most mispronounced come next year.
Previous Pick: Chukwuma Okorafor, OL, Western Michigan
Denver Broncos: Da'Shawn Hand, DL, Alabama
The Missouri Edge rusher tradition continues. Denver seems under John Elway they always just go BPA. Frazier is a guy who with a strong season can be in the first round discussion come next year.
Previous Pick: Marcell Frazier, EDGE, Missouri
Cleveland Browns: Courtland Sutton, WR, SMU
- Ladies and gentleman it looks like we're finally gonna have it. A draft with multiple QBs that could be first round franchise QB potential. Darnold is the best from what I've seen on tape. He looks like a guy you can put right up there with Luck and Winston as far as QB prospects go. The one negative right now imo is that USC players ranked number 1 at their position preseason for the draft almost never stay there. Darnold is a QB worth the number 1 pick.
Previous Pick: Sam Darnold, QB, USC
Minnesota Vikings: Connor Williams, OL, Texas
- Minnesota is another team that could strongly be in the QB market come next year. If Bridewater returns though and they still want him as their franchise guy getting him good protection will be priority number one.
Previous Pick: Mitch Hyatt, OL, Clemson
Jacksonville Jaguars: Mitch Hyatt, OL, Clemson
- I think Jaguars will be a much improved team next year. Relying on the run game and a strong defense they can just have Blake Bortles play game manager til they can find a better option in the 2018 draft class. Mason Rudolph has all the tools to succeed in the NFL and I think he would have been a late first rounder if he came out in 2017.
Previous Pick: Mason Rudolph, QB, Oklahoma State
Los Angeles Rams: Derwin James, S, Florida State
- The Rams get Jared Goff who will hopefully be coming off a promising year by the time the NFL drafts again a blindside protector for the long term because left tackle Andrew Whitworth is a short-term option. The Rams have desperately been trying to build a great O line for years. They let the draft come to them and get a guy who will help out Goff and Gurley.
Previous Pick: Mike McGlinchey, OL, Notre Dame
Philadelphia Eagles: Derrius Guice, RB, LSU
- Eagles added guys they think they can be number 1 corners for them in the 2017 draft. Unless they fall in love with a tackle or receiver adding an explosive edge rusher like Landry would be a great move. He has first round buzz in the 2017 draft before he went back to school and he should be a round 1 lock in 2018 if he performs as well.
Previous Pick: Harold Landry, EDGE, Boston College
Los Angeles Chargers: Harold Landry, EDGE, Boston College
- The Chargers need to take advantage of the beast they have in Bosa and get him a tag team partner on that line. Wilkins is a athletic defensive tackle that can stop the run dead in its track and get in the QBs face.
Previous Pick: Christian Wilkins, DL, Clemson
Buffalo Bills: Ronnie Harrison, S, Alabama
- Bills hope that they get their franchise QB here. They acquired and extra first round pick for next year so they could be a team that looks to trade away a haul of draft picks to get Darnold. Many respected Analysts and NFL sources have claimed that Allen is the best QB prospect for next years draft. He'll have to dominate at Wyoming to earn that right in my mind.
Previous Pick: Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming
Other 2018 NFL Mock Drafts